Get involved with more than just your academic subjects. Students don’t just learn at Portsmouth College, they experience!
Join one of our Sports Academies and play competitively in sports such as:
Or just have fun joining in with our various ‘You Can’ activities from Netball and Personal Training to Table Tennis and a 5-a-side football league. We also support students in competing at national level in their chosen field.
Performing Arts and Music
- Rock Challenge – we have recently performed in the Southern Finals and not only were awarded second place but also won multiple awards including Spirit of Rock Challenge so get involved with our hugely successful productions
- Take the chance to perform solo or in a band either in College or at a number of gigs in local venues like the Wedgewood Rooms, the Guildhall and even at Victorious Festival!
- Learn to play an instrument
- Make use of the recording studio
Duke of Edinburgh Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards
Your chance to get involved in this challenging and prestigious national award. There are four components to the D of E Award: the expedition, service to others, learning a new skill and physical recreation. Great for your C.V or university application and great fun too.
National Citizen Service (NCS)
NCS is a fantastic opportunity for 16 and 17 year olds to engage in outdoor, community and volunteering activities. It combines an outdoor adventurous activities residential, a community action project which helps your local community and a social enterprise project to raise money for a good cause.
The College is delighted to promote the programme, which is run locally by our partners at the Pompey in the Community organisation.
Visits and Travel Opportunities
Many of our teaching departments offer a number of trips, visits and conferences to enhance your enjoyment and understanding of subjects. Here is just a sample of what’s on offer:
- Local and London art galleries and museums
- Specialist sessions at universities
- Law courts
- Theatre trips
- BBC Question Time
- Outdoor adventurous activities
- Houses of Parliament
- Professional music studios and venues
- Practical field trips
- Army, Navy & Police days
- University Sports Science laboratories
In addition, you might choose to join one of our residential trips. Over the past couple of years, these have included worldwide locations such as:
- Venice & Rome
- New York
- South Africa
Please note that nearly all trips have a financial cost to students. The amount will be stated in an initial information and consent letter sent to parents/carers when you express an interest in participating on a trip.
Don’t forget, our E6 Personal Development Programme offers an abundance of choice when it comes to opportunities! Add to your experience and qualifications to not only broaden your horizons but have fun at the same time. Take advantage of rewards projects such as:
- Learn First Aid
- Offer support in schools
- Do voluntary work
- Become a Sports Leader and gain coaching awards
- Set-up a small business
- Train as a Student Mentor
- Become an official Student Ambassador for the College
- Volunteer on our Student Union committee