Curious & Creative Learning
First introduced in 2014/15, this initiative is proving highly valuable and is transforming the way students learn at the College. Based exclusively on Apple iPad technology, the project has enhanced students’ experience and interaction in the classroom. Staff have received extensive training in the use of this powerful technology and have developed imaginative delivery techniques to engage students in a variety of ways.
97% of our students said they felt empowered to use technology and online resources to support their learning* – Based on Ofsted Learner View Results in a survey in March 2017
iPads are extensively used by staff and students at Portsmouth College and add many benefits to every day learning:
- Transforming the way students learn
- Independent research made easy
- Completion and submission of work is quicker and easier
- Sharing ideas and collaborating in lessons is simple
- Keeping organised has never been more straightforward
- Creativity and innovation using multiple apps is an ideal way to enhance your digital skills
Students have access to:
- Thousands of educational apps, combining text, video and audio in every subject and covering every teaching and learning style
- Downloadable iBooks, many of them free – an entire library at your fingertips
- Google classroom for accessing class work and resources online
- Integrated and interactive systems in every classroom
- One-to-one teacher-student communication, assessment and feedback
- iPad screen 'mirroring' to the whiteboard
- Reliable, comprehensive and simultaneous Wi-Fi connections in all areas of the campus
New investments in various College systems now allows for reliable, comprehensive and simultaneous Wi-Fi connections in all areas of the campus.
For the year ahead, developments of our creative learning programme in daily College life continue to go from strength to strength in a future where digital literacy is vital. The scheme will now offer some additional flexibility, allowing students to bring their own iPad if they wish.
We strongly advise that all students have access to an Apple iPad device.
Option 1 – Bring your own iPad
If you already have your own iPad, you are welcome to use this in College. You will be able to connect to our Wi-Fi network and systems.
Option 2 – Subsidised monthly payments
The College heavily subsidises the purchase of a new iPad (including case, extended warranty and insurance) via a monthly payment scheme. You would need to pay a deposit of around £40, followed by 24 payments of around £10 (as correct in June 2019).
Terms & Conditions:
- Exact device specification will depend on the iPad range available at the time. In 2019, we are offering a subsidy on the iPad Wi-Fi 32GB model, provided with a case, 3 year extended warranty and 2 year insurance plan (covering accidental damage and theft).
- Higher specification devices are also available via the monthly payment scheme.
- The College will not provide subsidy on higher specification options.
- By subscribing to the monthly payment scheme, you will be entering into a credit agreement directly with our supplier. Portsmouth College is not authorised to provide independent financial advice and will not be involved in the collection of your payments.
- A bursary is available where your annual household income is less than £26,000 per year (for 2019/20), or is in receipt of certain state benefits.
- iPads provided at no cost via a College bursary may have been previously used and will typically be an iPad Mini 2 16GB.