Portsmouth College recognises the importance of having controls around the collection, use, retention and destruction of personal information. Privacy Notices for the different groups of individuals the College interacts with can be found below:
Website Visitors Privacy Notice
This privacy notice explains how Portsmouth College (“we”, “our”, “us”) collects, uses and shares your personal information, and your rights in relation to the personal information that we hold. It concerns our processing of personal information of visitors to the College web sites (“you”, “your”).
Portsmouth College is the data controller of personal information about you. Our address is Portsmouth College, Tangier Road, Portsmouth PO3 6PZ.
Our Data Protection Officer is Neil McMonagle. If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the ways in which we will use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (023 9266 7521).
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
We collect your personal information in a number of different ways, including:
- log files generated by our IT infrastructure (such as our web servers);
- third party analytical software (such as Google Analytics);
- online forms that you submit
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13.
As a visitor to one of our websites, we may collect and process personal information about you in the following categories (this information cannot be used to identify who you are):
- technical identifiers (such as your IP address);
- technical characteristics (such as the browser you are using);
- information on how you use the site (such as by using cookies)
If you choose to complete one of our online forms, register for an account on one of our websites, or sign up to one of our email lists, we will also process personal information about you in the following categories:
- personal identifiers (such as name);
- contact details (such as address, email address and telephone numbers);
- subscription preferences
If you use features of our websites to apply to join the College (for example, the online student application form), we will further process your personal information in accordance with our relevant privacy notice. We will tell you if this is the case and refer you to the appropriate privacy notice.
We collect and process your personal information for the following purposes:
a) to monitor the performance of our IT infrastructure;
b) to enable us to investigate any suspected security breach;
c) to allow us to improve our websites by monitoring how you use it;
d) to communicate with you
We will not under any circumstances sell or rent your data to third parties.
For uses (a) (b) and (c) we process your personal information in accordance with the legal basis of our legitimate interests:
- We have a legitimate interest in ensuring that our IT infrastructure runs at optimum levels of performance and remains secure. To be able to do so, we need to understand how our websites are used and become aware of any issues that may arise.
- We have a legitimate interest in ensuring that our websites promote the College in the best possible way. To be able to do so, we need to understand how our websites are used.
For use (d) we process your personal information in accordance with the legal basis of consent. You will always have the opportunity to withdraw your consent at any time.
We retain full logs of all access to our websites for 1 year. After this time, we may continue to retain aspects of our logs but where we do, we will remove IP addresses.
Within Google Analytics, we retain any user and event data for a maximum of 26 months. After this period, we continue to keep aggregated data so we can monitor use of our websites over a longer period.
We do not routinely share personal information gathered as a result of visiting our websites with any third parties. We will share your data if we are required to do so by law (for example by court order or in response to a police request).
If you use features of our websites to apply to join the College (for example, the online student application form), we will further process your personal information (which may include sharing your personal information with third parties) in accordance with our relevant privacy notice. We will tell you if this is the case and refer you to the relevant privacy notice.
We may share your personal information with third parties who provide IT services to the College (such as hosting providers).
Some of the third party organisations who provide services to the College are based outside Europe and in these cases your personal information will be transferred outside the EU to their hosting facilities and those of their sub-processors.
In all such cases the College either:
- has data protection contracts in place with these organisations confirming that processing of personal information will be in accordance with European Data Protection legislation; or
- in the case of US based organisations, is satisfied that the organisation processes personal information in accordance with European Data Protection legislation through their membership of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield programme.
We do not make automated decisions using the personal information you provide as a visitor.
You have a number of rights over your personal information, namely:
- the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk);
- the right to ask us what personal information we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information;
- the right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you; and
- the right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used, machine-readable format.
Our websites may contain links to third party websites. This privacy notice only applies to our own websites (within the portsmouth-college.ac.uk or tpc.ac.uk domains) and does not cover any other websites that we link to.
We will keep this privacy notice under regular review and will update it from time to time to make sure it remains up-to-date and accurate. The current version of this notice will be available on our websites.