The Corporation (Governing Body) is an exempt charity, formed by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. The Governing Body is responsible for setting the College’s strategic direction and ensuring that the College delivers excellent outcomes to students and the local community.
The powers and responsibilities of the Governing Body are set out in the Instrument and Articles of Government. The Governing Body also has to comply with the Financial Memorandum, Post 16 Audit Code of Practice, Charities Act as well as general laws relating, for example, to equality, health and safety, freedom of information and employment.
There are five main committees of the governing body:
ROLE OF THE GOVERNING BODY
The role of the Governing Body is to agree the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the College and oversee its educational and financial performance. The main responsibilities laid out in the Instrument and Articles of Government are:
- To determine the educational character and mission of the College and have oversight of its activities
- To review and approve the quality of provision
- To ensure the College remains solvent, approve annual estimates of income and expenditure and to monitor the effective and efficient use of resources
- To maintain the security of the College’s assets
- To appoint holders of senior posts and the Clerk, and to set their pay and conditions of service
- To approve the framework for the pay and conditions of employment of staff
MINUTES OF CORPORATION MEETINGS
Corporation meeting minutes for the last 3 years can be found below. For individual committee minutes, please see the links above (under College Corporation) to access the committee page and associated minutes. Older minutes can be obtained on request from The Clerk to the Corporation.
The Governing Body is made up of a cross section of volunteers. They come from a variety of backgrounds with the skills and expertise required to ensure that the Governing Body functions as effectively as possible in the best interests of the College and its stakeholders.
The Governing Body comprises of members including:
- External Members
- A Parent Governor
- College Principal
- Staff Representatives (Teaching and Support)
- Student Representatives
Our Members of the Corporation page contains our list of current members, including committees served.
All members are required to declare financial and other interests, which are held by the Clerk in a register open to inspection. In addition, eligibility is confirmed on appointment and annually thereafter.
CONTACTING THE GOVERNORS
College governors can be contacted by email to email@example.com or alternatively by writing to:
The Clerk to the Corporation