PoRTSMOUTH COLLEGE CORPORATION
The Corporation (Governing Body) is an exempt charity, formed by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. The Governing Body is responsible for setting the College’s strategic direction and ensuring that the College delivers excellent outcomes to students and the local community.
The powers and responsibilities of the Governing Body are set out in the Instrument and Articles of Government. The Governing Body also has to comply with the Financial Memorandum, Audit Code of Practice, Charities Act as well as general laws relating for example, to equality, health and safety, freedom of information and employment.
role of the governing body
The role of the Governing Body is to agree the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the College and oversee the educational and financial performance of the College. The main responsibilities laid out in the Instrument and Articles of Government are:
- To determine the educational character and mission of the College and have oversight of its activities.
- To review and approve the quality of provision.
- To ensure the College remains solvent, approve annual estimates of income and expenditure and to monitor the effective and efficient use of resources.
- To maintain the security of the College’s assets.
- To appoint holders of senior posts and the Clerk, and to set their pay and conditions of service.
- To approve the framework for the pay and conditions of employment of staff.
The Governing Body meets at least four times a year but much of the detailed work is carried out at committee level. More information about the committees can be found on the committee page.
The Governing Body is made up of a cross section of volunteers. They come from a variety of backgrounds with the skills and expertise required to ensure that the Governing Body functions as effectively as possible in the best interests of the College and its stakeholders.
The Governing Body comprises of 20 members including:
- 14 External Members
- 1 Parent Governor
- 1 Principal
- 2 Staff Representatives (1 teaching and 1 support)
- 2 Student Representatives
Our Meet the Governors page contains further details on the current members, including committees served.
All members are required to declare financial and other interests, which are held by the Clerk in a Register open to inspection. In addition, eligibility is confirmed on appointment and annually thereafter.
contacting the governors
Mrs Karen Frost
The Clerk to the Corporation